Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Solo for Xaviera, Tuesday March 23rd at 11.30am. Outside Broadway Market

It happened. I was nervous from coffee and a bad habit I recently picked up again(soon to be quit...again.) I gathered my posse; Bridget, Annie, Soleil and Greg and built my dance floor of cardboard. Sir Mix A Lot,
Wu Tang Clan on the bright yellow boom box. Sneakers. Ideas. Hopes. Fingers crossed. How to be intimate with a stranger? The question that keeps coming up. How to take these answered questions and build a knowledge base about someone. What the answers say to me is revealing, I see myself in them. I would
want... I would need... I see this... I hear this...How can I see clearly without using myself as a lens? Is that the way I should be working, I wonder? I wanted more intimacy than I got. I wanted more time with X, wanted this dance to be a culmination of some other experience we had together rather than just the response to what I think I know of her. Being present with her, in front of other people, who may not know the what's or who's or how's of creating this performance was difficult and just keeping my eyes and hands or her helped me ground down. The container I set up was a shy one, very public, easy, like a crowded restaurant for a first date rather than a walk through the woods in duet. I found myself hoping, really hard hoping, that she would pick up on the subtle(often not so subtle) 'clues' or trademarks of her, aspects of the solo that I felt were really un'me' and truly, only coming from her as inspiration. you and me. unknown and unknown. fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. You know those days that you just don't feel like crawling out of bed and throwing on your war paint? Well, I was having one of those this morning. Then I remembered, today I was going to receive a solo performance from a complete stranger. With this in mind, I was able to drag my ass the long distance (1.5 blocks) from my apartment to the performance location.

    Although I had nothing to do, other than enjoy, I was a little nervous. Kind of like a blind date, but in this case one that I had revealed things to via Facebook messaging that people I've slept with have never known. Very intense, and left me in a bit of a sweaty condition upon arriving at Broadway Market.

    All the anxiety was for not. Bianca and her posse were just what the doctor ordered. The original plan was to have the piece performed in the Market, but it was decided that outside on the sidewalk was probably a safer option. Cardboard was laid down and boombox was cranked. It was time to receive my dance.

    I loved the 5 tracks chosen and found Bianca's movement intense while simultaneously hilarious. Bringing me in by having me select the order of the music was a fun surprise and got me more engaged than it may have had I been purely an observer. Finishing off with a run (possibly from the cops)hand in hand with Bianca was a perfect ending. I look forward to seeing the photobooth shots.

    ReplyDelete