Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ricki and Richard's Excellent Adventure

Richard wrote some really exciting answers to my questions, revealing himself to be an adrenaline junkie...here's some of what inspired me in the solo:

"Magazines: I usually start at the back. Skip over the features. Read the product news and

letters. Then I might read the features if they interest me. One time usually. Fairly quickly. I don't save magazines, but recycle or give them away.

...The experience reminded me that I was alive and not just going through the motions of living...And then there's the actual flying...Your life is literally suspended for the time of the flight...

Stepping on a stage is metaphorically like jumping off a cliff. I liked doing it to prove to myself that I was alive. I liked the churning in my stomach before opening night. Acting is another skill intensive activity. Voice, speech, movement, emotional control--all learned skills. One of the things I like best about acting is that I am put in touch with people of all ages, experiences and histories working toward a common goal. It doesn't matter where you're from, what you do, how much you make, where you live--all that matters is can you do the work.

I never felt frightened by paragliding. I've had more nerves on opening night that I ever had at the lip of a cliff prior to launching. Apprehensive, maybe. Focused, yes. Excited, certainly."

As Richard was running up the stairs of the water tower (yikes, I barely beat him up there even with my head start!) I sent a parachute down to him with instructions for receiving the rest of the solo. Here's what they said:

March 11, 2010

Hello Richard!

Welcome to RICKI AND RICHARD’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE! Please read through the full instructions now, and then feel free to refer to them as we go. This adventure has three chapters. We will begin at the end.

CHAPTER 3:
Stand on the yellow dot. Look out the window. There is a performance for you, by me, on the picnic table below.

CHAPTER 2:
Take a walk around the top of the water tower. There is a performance for you, by Seattle, outside each window. Use the pen to write a few words about one of Seattle’s performances on the back of this page, and place it in front of the corresponding window.

CHAPTER 1:
There will be a performance for you, by me and you and Seattle, inside the tower. Move about the space as you please, watching from whatever proximities and angles you are curious about.

PS Once our EXCELLENT ADVENTURE has reached the beginning, take your time leaving the tower. I will see you at the bottom when you get there.

Richard and I had one more email correspondence, post-adventure:

Subject: Thank you!

Hi Richard!

Thank you for being part of the GLIMMER one to one solos! I really enjoyed working on your piece, and loved our foot duet. It would be great if you want to share some thoughts on our blog — either by blogging directly to the lingo website or by emailing me an entry to submit.

Thank you again, and I hope you enjoyed your dance as much as I did!

Truly,
Ricki

Subject: Re: Thank you!

Ricki, I had a terrific time. Thank you.

You were so enthusiastic and engaging I was compelled to join you on the bench. The "foot duet" just seemed right.

It was wonderful that you thought to reconnect me with Capitol Hill where we lived for 22 years.

Your entry with the parachute set a happy tone for the dance. It reminded me of how I miss flying.

Your idea to look out the windows of the water tower made another important connection for me as I've spent the last 30 years advising people about commercial real estate in Seattle. What better place to see Seattle real estate than from the water tower.

As I told Florangela, having this special event in Volunteer Park and at the water tower has forever changed my understanding and appreciation of those spaces and places. I will always think of you flying on the picnic table, twisting around the tower wall, stomping up the tower stairs, and foot dancing on the bench.

Many thanks. And best wishes in your dance career. Richard.

1 comment:

  1. It was a great and wonderful ride to watch Ricki flying on the picinic table and Richard watching from the top of the water tower. The whole experience was filled with whimsy and sweetness. When Richard joined Ricki on the bench at the end to duet the "foot dance" with her I smiled. My favorite moment was when Richard easily took the lead in that dance and follower became leader. Thank you both for such a grand kick off to the project.

    ReplyDelete