Tuesday, April 6, 2010

From Satya, in regards to her solo given by Bianca

Bianca Cabrera’s solo for me was performed at Denny Blaine beach on March 24th. It is exciting and honoring to have someone take a bit of me and transform that into movement/art. The piece took place at
one of my favorite summer destinations. Bianca wanted to perform when it was nearing dark so the dance began at 8 pm.

Bianca took on a meditation posture, which eventually turned into a restless sleep. I felt as though we were having an uncomfortable dream. Yet her movements were articulate, calculated, and beautiful.

Eventually stripping off layer by layer while moving closer to the water, fear and restlessness gave way to more streamlined/integrated emotional context. Dancing in the cold water was BRAVE, and the sense of restlessness I was feeling earlier in the dance became beautiful in the moon light and the lights of the city in the distance. She stayed there for longer that I ever would have, which was surprising and added a lot of strength to the piece.

This process reminded me how powerful art can be. In our conversation afterwards, Bianca mentioned that she had fears of the dark and did not know how to swim. I loved that she worked with those in this piece and I found myself going back to that in my mind and heart. I will always have the image in my mind of that strong women moving in the dusk. Going beyond her own fear, and transforming passing thoughts and emotions into movement.

What a gift, thank you!
Satya

No comments:

Post a Comment